Thursday, October 23, 2008

The only green beans the boys'll eat...

Not so much a recipe as it is a technique. I'm sure it will work on fresh green beans if you cook them long enough.

I got this from my week long new-restaurant training at Texas Roadhouse. We had to learn back of the house cold prep, hot prep, 2 how-they-make-that sides, some butchering (ewww!), DMO (dish machine operator), and expo, and the cooks had to learn front of the house - how to serve and take orders and run food (haha!!) ANYhow, my 2 sides were green beans and baked potatoes.

  • Green beans (We use canned since the boys will eat them. I know, yuck, right?)
  • Bacon
  • Onion (we use dehydrated onion flakes as a pantry staple, but fresh is good if it's cut up tiny-like)
  • Salt to taste

Cut up some uncooked bacon and throw it in the saucepan (the taller ones, don't know what they're called) let it cook. Probably 2 full strips worth... I just know I do a lot. Leave the grease in there. Yes, leave the bacon grease in the pan!

Dump the green beans in the pan. I've only ever done this with canned green beans but the restaurant uses fresh, rest assured. Don't drain the can of green beans, just dump it in there on top of the cooked bacon pieces and bacon grease. Sprinkle some onion on top (or you could brown the onion first in the bacon grease if you're using fresh onions), cover and let it heat on low until all the other dishes in the meal are completed. The green beans should be nice and bacony delicious.

Like I said, more of a technique than a recipe. James LOVES his green beans when they're bacon green beans!

No comments: